INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE Middle Years Programme
The curriculum for Years 7, 8 and 9 is designed to create a smooth transition from the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP) to the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (DP).
Westwood International School (WIS) will phase in the implementation of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) starting with Years 7 and 8 in 2010, gradually extending this five year programme through to Year 11. The MYP does not prescribe a particular curriculum. Instead, it is a framework or means of delivering and assessing the curriculum already in place. To this end, WIS is able to slide in the principles and practices of the MYP over its existing curriculum.
What is the MYP?
The Middle Years Programme (MYP) is designed for students between the ages of 11 and 16 years. Students at this stage are undergoing dramatic physical, personal, social and intellectual changes. They are also becoming more aware of the wider world around them. It is a time of questioning and challenging, which can be exciting, confusing and a bit frightening all at the same time. The Middle Years Program aims to help students through this crucial time by fostering a sense of belonging and a positive attitude to learning.
– is inquiry based
– encourages international?mindedness
– is intended to be inclusive, designed to respond in a flexible way to varied learning needs, including the needs of those who are learning in a language other than their mother tongue
– makes connections between the different subjects ? to each other and to real?life
– supports the development of communication skills in both mother?tongue and additional languages
– is holistic and focuses on the development of the whole child (physical, personal, social and intellectual).
There are eight different subject groups and connections are made between the subject groups through the Areas of Interaction (AOI).